Tuesday, January 22, 2008

2: On a side note

I was reading the CBC website today, and I came across this: http://www.cbc.ca/arts/blog/sundance2008/

Bruce Labruce, the author of this blog, is actually from my home town. My small, fairly mediocre, sometimes homophobic town. We went to the same high school – years apart of course. I believe he graduated around the same time my mother did.

While I’ve never seen Bruce Labruce’s work, I’m all about promoting home town success stories – especially the unconventional ones. I ooze excitement every time I hear about him in any sort of media outlet, because I feel like on some small, insignificant level we have something in common. He’s my claim to fame in the six degrees of separation.

But I’ll try to relate this to media, so it’s at least a little relevant.

In the few short postings Labruce has written, he’s mentioned several times his distaste for the Hollywood take over of the Sundance film festival, to which he is premiering his new film.

I think it’s a really interesting comment on an organization that has stood as a tastemaker for so many years. The idea that those who submit to the festival see it as becoming kitsch and slowly morphing into an irrelevant piece of pop culture stands to me as an excellent example of a subculture being penetrated by the dominate one, becoming re-appropriated and turning into a part of the mainstream culture. Just like the Ipod subculture inevitably ended, as Ian had mentioned in class on Monday night, so is this one. I found it really intriguing to see the process of this happening and the reactions from someone within the community to this process.

So check out his blog. I can’t comment on the merits of his work in film, but his writing is fairly entertaining and I enjoyed his commentary on the Sundance film festival.



Labruce, Bruce. "Sundance 2008 blog." CBC.Ca. .

1 comment:

I. Reilly said...

we may be jumping the gun a little bit in our discussion of co-optation and incorporation, nonetheless it is one that we will discuss in greater detail when we read heath and potter, watch no logo, and tackle thomas frank. having said that, it's never too early to start thinking about how certain organizational structures/cultures overlap and integrate. sundance is a good example.

keep writing,
i.